Frequently Asked Questions


How do I contact Bev?


By phone: 780-496-8136
By email: [email protected]
On Twitter: @bevesslinger
By Mail:
Cllr. Bev Esslinger
2nd Floor, City Hall
1 Sir Winston Churchill Square NW
Edmonton, AB T5J 2R7

Can Bev speak at my event?


You can reach Bev with speaking engagement requests, or with any other questions or concerns, using the City of Edmonton’s Contact Your Councillor Form.

What’s 311 and how should I use it?


311 is Edmonton’s non-emergency phone line for City government information and services. Having a central point of contact for all inquiries helps the City prioritize areas for attention.

You can call 311 for information on City of Edmonton programs and services, or to register any complaints of concerns that require the City’s attention.

311 is not an emergency service and does not replace 911. If you have an emergency situation, please call 911 for assistance.

What’s happening with the Blatchford development?


The development of the Blatchford site offers exciting opportunities for Edmonton to step up as a world leader in building sustainable communities. You can view development plans, learn about the area’s approach to sustainability, and get the latest news at the Blatchford website.

When is my street scheduled for snow removal?


It’s a fact of life when you live in a “Winter City,” isn’t it? You can find snow removal schedules and other winter road condition updates on the City’s Winter Roads page.

How do I get a pothole fixed?


The City has a web page set up just for that. You can tell the City where the problem is using the Report a Pothole page, or call 311.